News‎ > ‎

Match report: Bracknell Bees 1 - 2 Basingstoke Bison

posted 18 Sep 2017, 13:25 by john slater

Sunday evening at The Hive and there was a buzz of anticipation as fierce local rivals Basingstoke Bison had come to town. Another bumper crowd, joined by the local mayor and her consort, were in Bracknell to see a tightly fought affair where it was all about the goal tending.

In between the pipes for the Bees was Alex Mettam, where as for the visitors it was one-time Bees nettie, Dean Skinns.

The first period was very tight with both teams keen not to give anything away. Some silly penalties from the Bees left them short handed several times early on but their defence held firm and with Alex Mettam as the last line of defence, succeeded in keeping the Bison out. Fan favourite defenceman Jan Bendik was a big part of the Bees top defensive work with some big hits and great diving stick checks across the blue line. The Bees did have one fantastic chance towards the end of the period with Shaun Thompson picking up a giveaway from a Bison player and a strong slap shot was well saved by Skinns who was in great position.

The second period was initially dominated by the Bees. Spurred on by some great vocal support they put Skinns to work early on with both Tetlow and Thompson coming close. At the other end of the ice Alex Mettam was not to be outdone, several times flashing the leather and pulling out saves from nowhere. After yet another big save from Skinns, Bees forward Callum Best was gifted a golden opportunity but chipped the puck over the bar.  Some great defensive work by Josh Tetlow saved yet another great chance for the visitors as the Bees 6"6" defenceman was able to reach and poke the puck away. 

Two of the Bees new forwards combined well to produce another great chance as some good work by Steve Osman set up Jared Lane who unfortunately was only able to find the post.

In the 38th minute it was the Bison who broke the deadlock with a giveaway that fell to former Bee forward Jaroslav Cesky who made no mistake in slotting the puck hard and low beating Mettam bottom left of the net.

The final period continued in the same manner as the first two with both goalies putting on a clinic. It was Dan Scott who had the best early chance bringing out yet another huge save by Mettam. After some sustained Bracknell attack, the Bees were unable to stop import forward Tomas Karpov from making it 2-0 after almost 50 minutes. 3 minutes later the Bees were finally able to beat Skinns in the Bison net as Thompson shot from a narrow angle after some dogged work from Osman and Bakrlik.

2-1 it ended in what the stats show was a close game between two well matched teams.

Man of the match awards went to Alex Mettam in the Bees net and to his opposite number Dean Skinns in the Bison net.

Match stats
Period scores: 0-0; 0-1; 1-1
Bees Scorers: Thompson 1+0; Bakrlik & Osman 0+1
Bison scorers: Cesky & Karpov 1+0; Brooks 0+1
Bees PIMS: 14 (Spearing 8; Bendik, Bakrlik & Bench 2)
Bison PIMS: 14 (Reynolds 6; Baird, Sutton, Cesky & Karpov 2)
Shots on Bees (Mettam): 26 (11, 7, 8)
Shots on Bison (Skinns): 27 (9. 9. 9)