News‎ > ‎

Match report: Bracknell Bees 1 - 2 Telford Tigers (After Overtime)

posted 13 Nov 2017, 07:13 by john slater

Match report by Ashley Willitt

Saturday 11th had a poignant feel to the evening at the Hive. With soldiers from the local Army training centre in Pirbright collecting for the Amy Benevolent Fund and piper Iona Scotson providing the musical backdrop, it was a great way for the local sporting community to pay their respects to our fallen war heroes.

The evenings game was something of a back-and-forth affair, with neither side able to take full control leading to an exciting finish.   Officiating the game was referee Roy Hamilton, with Alice Stanley and Isaac Reeves on linesmen duties. Starting netminders were Alex Mettam for the Bees and Denis Bell for the Tigers. Telford were without influential veteran defenceman Jonathan Weaver, while the home side were missing Frantisek Bakrlik, serving the first of his six game ban. 

First period saw very little serious action for each goalie, with both defences shutting down any offence before any good chances appeared. The majority of shots were right at each goalie as neither were significantly troubled. The best chance for Bracknell came as Danny Ingoldsby burst through the defence from a great stretch pass. He rounded the goal and passed to the on coming Jared Lane, who brought out a great save from Bell. Telford's best effort came moments later though Scott McKenzie, but Mettam was on had to deny him with a huge save.

In a second period that followed the style and tactics of the first, neither offence got going. The Tigers were clearly missing Weaver's influence on the blueline, while Bracknell were missing the dynamism of Bakrlik. It was however on 33 minutes that the deadlock was broken with a Jan Bendik slapshot being redirected in front by Shaun Thompson. The Bees held on firmly to see out the period in front with only an Adam Taylor strike beating Mettam, but not the post.

The final frame saw the visitors push for the equaliser, yet the Bees were still slightly the better team. Despite having many opportunities to do so, the Bees struggled to clear their zone on one attack and the visitors made them pay. Captain Jason Silverthorn backhanded a shot over Mettam to draw the sides level. The home team didn't let up their own offence with Callum Best having a great chance, but couldn't get the puck from out of his skates in time. Bendik found himself clear while shorthanded but a great stop by Bell denied the Bees defenceman. The Tigers also had a late effort stopped the goalie, with Joe Miller stonewalled by the glove of Mettam.

So into overtime we went and after a small amount of pressure and possession by the Bees, they coughed up the puck on the blueline to Silverthorn who fed Rick Plant. Plant made no mistake slotting home the puck to give the visitors a 2-1 OT win.

Man of the match awards went to both net minders on the evening.

Match stats
Period scores: 0-0, 1-0; 0-1; 0-1
Bees Scorers: Thompson 1+0; Bendik 0+1
Tigers scorers: Silverthorn 1+1; Plant 1+0; Stokes & McKenzie 0+1
Bees PIMS: 8 (Galazzi, Norcliffe, Ingoldsby, Lane 2)
Tigers PIMS: 2 (T.Watkins 2)
Shots on Bees (Mettam): 26 (11, 9, 5, 1)
Shots on Tigers (Bell): 29 (9, 9, 11, 0)