News‎ > ‎

Match report: Bracknell Bees 2 - 6 Peterborough Phantoms

posted 20 Feb 2018, 08:58 by john slater

Match report by Ashley Willitt

It was an incredibly cold evening at the Hive on Sunday as Bracknell took on league-lead-tying Peterborough Phantoms.

Alex Mettam once again took the start in the net, with Euan King in the opposing goal. Refereeing the tie was Blaine Evans, with Flynn Sitch-Cunningham and Andrew Strain on the lines.

Within the first few minutes, the Bees were the livelier of the two sides. Carl Thompson coming close on several occasions as the plucky forward made King work early on. A slash on Frankie Bakrlik by Nathan Pollard saw the big Czech forward grab the Peterborough man by the helmet and the two sat for 2 minutes. While 4-on-4 the Phantoms got the first goal of the night through Will Weldon. The Bees just couldn't string two passes together to get any momentum and with 6 minutes remaining of the period, the Phantoms doubled their lead with a scruffy play in front of goal that went through Mettam too easily. Just a minute later and Leigh Jamieson got the visitors a third goal with a very well worked play moving the Bees defence all over the place and finished off with style.

The second period was not much better for the home side. Mettam doing his damnedest to keep out the Phantoms, saving well from Ales Padelek and Pollard. The latter also having a good breakaway chance that was well broken up by Danny Ingoldsby, back checking well to prevent a chance on goal. Peterborough got their fourth goal on a 5-on-3 power-play just before the 35th minute with an absolute rocket of a shot giving Mettam absolutely no chance. The fifth goal was almost inevitable and Nathan Salem picked it up just minutes later with a shot across goal that deflected in off of Harvey Stead who could do little about it.

The third period play from the Bees was just as cold as the temperature in the rink. Not helped by a dubious call from the referee against Bakrlik, where it looked like the Peterborough player threw himself to the ice. Kindly re-enacted by Mettam jumping and sliding on his front. Billing struck the final nail in the Bees coffin on 44 minutes bringing the score to 6-0. Luke Jackson has had very little ice time of late, but his late addition to the game seemed to spark a little life back into the Bees, his slap shot from the blue-line causing issues in front of net for the defence and King. With the clock ticking down and murmurs of 'shut-out' amongst the traveling fans, Bracknell finally got on the board with James Galazzi crashing the net and finding Jan Bendik to tuck home an aggressive goal. Miraculously a second goal for the Bees was just moments behind, Captain Matt Foord firing a bullet of a shot from way out and beating King through a screen of players.

6-2 the final score in a cold, cold night in Bracknell that most of those in attendance will not want to remember for a long time. A very disappointing display from a Bracknell team that in recent weeks had seemed to turned around their performances, fortunes and results. Let’s hope they find a spark of life to see out the remaining regular season games on a high.

Match stats
Period Scores: 0-3; 0-2; 2-1
Bees scorers: Foord & Bendik 1+0; Galazzi, Ingoldsby, Bakrlik & Martin 0+1
Phantoms scorers: Weldon 1+2; Norton, Jamieson & Salem 1+1; Billing & Griffiths 1+0; Pliskauskas, J.Ferrara, Romeo & Padelek 0+1
Bees PIMS: 35 (Spearing 27; Bakrlik 8)
Phantoms PIMS: 6 (Jamieson, J.Ferrara & Pollard 2)
Shots on Bees (Mettam): 36 (11, 15, 10)
Shots on Phantoms (King): 25 (9, 4, 12)