News‎ > ‎

Match report: Bracknell Bees 5 - 1 Invicta Dynamos

posted 5 Feb 2018, 13:24 by john slater   [ updated 5 Feb 2018, 22:16 ]

Match report by Ashley Willitt

In a much anticipated game against the Invicta Dynamos at the Hive, the Bracknell Bees were without Callum Best and Josh Tetlow.

Starting in goal for the Bees was Alex Mettam and for the Dynamos was Damien King. In the stripes was referee Paul Brooks and linesmen Nathan Carmichael and Mariusz Koval

As soon as the puck dropped and Mason Webster decided he wanted to right a few wrongs as he challenged Frankie Bakrlik without a second on the clock. The two swung, hugged and just as Frankie was getting a few uppercuts in on Webster with his jersey over his head the linesmen stepped in to stop it going any further. As soon as the game got underway in earnest Danny Ingoldsby got the game’s first goal of the night for the Bees. With an inconspicuous play around the net the puck found its way to the front of the goal and Ingoldsby took a few hacks at it before squeezing it in to the left of King. Mettam was called into action shortly after from Ondrej Zosiak as the Bees looked to defend their narrow lead. With good constant Bees pressure, Harvey Stead took one for the team after a coming together with Brandon Webster. The two dropped the gloves and again the linesmen stepped in before any Stead uppercuts could do any serious damage. The Bees seemed more determined than they had been in many games previous, none more so than from James Galazzi who put his body on the line by sliding in to stop a slap-shot. Bracknell almost doubled their lead later in the period with great work by Carl Thompson setting up Josh Martin, however Martin couldn't find the goal, shooting from a narrow angle after beating King.

Into the second period and Bakrlik and Webster had another little tussle with the later pulling down the big Czech before any further serious incident. Invicta tried to out-muscle the Bees, but with so much pressure against them, they had little else to offer. Former Bee Steve Osman and Field hockey Olympian Ashley Jackson had several bright moments, but nothing that troubled Mettam too much. The Bees finally doubled their lead on the half hour mark through Galazzi, again after a goal mouth scramble was whacked in after a strong shot in by Tom Avery. A third goal came just 4 minutes later after Alex Barker came into the Dynamos zone with speed and shot hard and high, beating King blocker side.

The third period followed the same pattern as the previous two, with constant, solid Bees pressure. it was almost inevitable that further goals would come and Shaun Thompson got the Bees 4th, assists going to Martin and Avery. Bees fifth wrapped up the game on the 48th minute through brilliant stick work by Martin, whose shot was well saved by King, deflected off a defender and was picked up by Carl Thompson to smash home to an open net. Bracknell continued to look for more with George Norcliffe bursting down the right of the ice and feeding Bakrlik in front of goal, tipping beautifully, but again well saved by King at point blank range. The travelling Dynamos fans had something to cheer about as Scott Bailey finished off a nice move from Osman after Mettam saved, bringing the final score to 5-1.

A much better outing for the Bees with plenty of positives to take after what could have been a tough home game. Still a lot to work on but it was certainly an entertaining night for a decent crowd at the Hive to witness.

Match stats
Period Scores: 1-0; 2-0; 2-1
Bees scorers: S.Thompson 1+1; C.Thompson, Galazzi, Ingoldsby & Barker 1+0; Avery & Martin 0+3; B.Ealey-Newman 0+1
Invicta scorers: Bailey 1+0; M.Webster & Osman 0+1
Bees PIMS: 22 (Bakrlik 14; Stead 4; Foord & Barker 2)
Invicta PIMS: 12 (M.Webster 6; B.Webster 4 & Connolly 2)
Shots on Bees (Mettam): 23 (6, 3, 14)
Shots on Invicta (King & Dibble): 35 (14, 15, 6) & 5 (0, 0, 5)