News‎ > ‎

Match report: Bracknell Bees 6 - 1 Streatham IHC

posted 8 Oct 2017, 07:58 by john slater
Match report by Ashley Willitt

In what was the first ever league game between these two sides, there would be a huge physical battle between two strong sides keen to make a mark on the game early.

In between the pipes for the Bees was Alex Mettam, while in the Streatham net was Mathew Colclough. The Bees were still without forward Alex Barker, while Streatham were missing the tenacity and scoring power of Ryan Watt. Officiating the game was referee Hewitt with Billins and Reeves on the lines.

The game started well for the Bees who took just 2 minutes to get on the score-sheet through Jan Bendik following a pass from Josh Martin. The physicality started early with Streatham clearly on a mission to use size and strength against a talented Bees team. But the Bees were not to be intimidated and both teams traded hits, throwing the body with reckless abandon.

A great stretch pass from Jared Lane saw Frankie Bakrlik through on goal, he took one look up and fired the puck top shelf giving Streatham nettie Colclough no chance. The feisty nature of the game took a turn as Bendik was up-ended by a nasty looking knee by Jamie Hayes which was not penalised by the ref.  James Galazzi took matters into his own hands and made Hayes accountable for his actions. Both men sat for 2+2 for fighting. The big hits didn't stop there as the visitors still tried to unsettle the Bees with physicality, but with the likes of Tetlow, Bakrlik and captain Matt Foord, the home team were not going to allow it to be all one way traffic.

The Bees came out all guns blazing in the second period and it took just 99 seconds for Tom Avery to make it 3-0 with a tap in after some great work by Galazzi, dancing his was through the defence and pulling Colclough out of position before unselfishly laying the puck off to the grateful Avery.

Almost inevitably Streatham sent someone to challenge Josh Tetlow. After some naughty off-the-puck slashes by Brandon Miles, Tetlow had had enough and the pair dropped gloves centre ice. Both players got some good shots in, but it was the Bees 6'6" defence-man who had the better of the tilt and the two sat for 4 minutes each. Streatham's tenacity gave them some good opportunities in the 2nd, hemming Bracknell in their own zone for several minutes, but the defence stayed firm and Mettam was solid.

Minutes later, Harvey Stead took matters into his own hands as yet again the referee was reluctant to raise his arm in what appeared to be a check to the head. Stead reigned punches in on Jacob Ranson, who tried to return fire, but was overpowered by the Bees defence-man.

In the middle of all this, a hockey game was being played with Tetlow and Bakrlik combining well to give Lane several great chances. The inevitable 4th Bees goal came on 35 minutes with George Norcliffe shooting past the despairing Colclough. Steve Osman and Josh Martin also combined well to produce a great opportunity with some slick one-touch passing, but the Streatham goalie came up with a big save.

The visitors managed to claw back what would be a consolation goal through Ryan Webb after a face-off win and a pass from behind the goal by Alex Sampford was shot past the unfortunate Mettam. But as has been seen several times already this season, the Bees came out straight from the re-start and only 16 seconds later Norcliffe got his 2nd of the night and the Bees 5th, tearing down the right of the ice, following a pass from Danny Ingoldsby, shooting hard and low past Colclough.

The Bees got a rare power-play on 45 minutes but despite a strong attack minded unit on the ice, were unable to get anything past Colclough. Stead, not content with just the one fight on the night, had a small tussle with former Bracknell junior Ben Paynter, the two very evenly matched but with Paynter getting the take-down.

The Bees put the cherry on the cake on 51 minutes as some dogged work by Osman led to a shot by Callum Best being deflected in off a Streatham defenceman and under the legs of Colclough.

The final few minutes saw the visitors hit the post and bar several times, while the Bees continued to pepper the Streatham goalmouth.

6-1 the final score, slightly flattering the Bees if one looks at the shot count, but a well deserved victory non the less.

Man of the match awards went to George Norcliffe for the Bees and to Brendan Baird for Streatham.

Match stats
Period scores: 2-0; 3-1; 1-0
Bees Scorers: Norcliffe 2+1; Bendik 1+2; Bakrlik, Best & Avery 1+0; Ingoldsby & Osman 0+2; Lane, Mettam & Galazzi 0+1
Streatham scorers: Webb 1+0; Hayes & Sampford 0+1
Bees PIMS: 22 (Stead 10; Galazzi, Avery & Tetlow 4)
Streatham PIMS: 18 (Ranson, Paynter, Miles & Hayes 4; Baird 2)
Shots on Bees (Mettam): 27 (9, 9, 9)
Shots on Streatham (Colclough): 32 (6, 18, 8)