News‎ > ‎

Match report: Bracknell Bees 8 - 1 Cardiff Fire

posted 6 Nov 2017, 09:40 by john slater   [ updated 6 Nov 2017, 11:14 ]

Match report by Ashley Willitt

In a rare Saturday home game, the Bees faced bottom of the table Cardiff Fire. Cardiff have been constantly playing with their squad and until they arrive, no-one seems to know who will be in their line-up. Missing this game from the last time the Bees entertained the Fire was scrappy forward Brad Watchorn. The Bees were without Jared Lane and Scott Spearing, with the player/coach out with a non hockey related injury.  Officiating the game was Kevin Ward, assisted by linesmen Jason Lambly and Mark Stokes. In the nets were Jordan Lawday for Cardiff and Danny Milton for Bracknell.

The first period started like a dream for the home team, with just over 3 minutes on the clock Shaun Thompson took a square pass from Josh Martin, shooting a hard wrist shot past the Fire goalie. Lawday was being made to work hard to keep his team in the game early on with Alex Barker, clearly back to full fitness, taking a great pass from Martin but the Cardiff goalie denying him with a brilliant reflex save.   Full on Bees domination of the period eventually led to a second, with non other than Czech forward Frankie Bakrlik given far too much time on the puck. He received a pass from Callum Best and was able to pick his spot, high over the blocker side of Lawday. The Fire defence could just not contain the Bees attack and were giving far too much time to the home team. Just five minutes later and Bracknell increased their lead through Josh Ealey-Newman with his first Bracknell Bees goal. With good work by Will Stead and Danny Ingoldsby, Ealey-Newman tipped a Stead slap pass cleanly past the helpless goalie. The Bees were peppering the Fire net with Jan Bendik coming close, only to be denied by the glove of Lawday. But the sheer volume of shots was too much for the Fire net minder as Steve Osman made it 4-0 after good work by Best and Bendik to the right of the goal, giving the British forward his 8th goal of the season.

Period two was a little more even, the Bees clearly taking their foot off the gas and rarely getting out of second gear. They did however get a fifth goal with an individual effort by Shaun Thompson. Cardiff showed their dangerous breaking ability just moments later as, combined with some lazy defence, Jackson Price got a shot away, beating Milton and giving the small Cardiff support something to cheer for. The Bees continued to allow Cardiff chances with several giveaways, but Milton was on hand to save their blushes.

In the final period Bracknell ramped up the pressure once more, with James Galazzi coming close after driving through the defence, only to be stopped by the Fire goalie. The sixth goal was almost inevitable with the amount of shots on net and it was Alex Barker who got the final touch on a battle around the goal with both Martin and Best in on the action. Bakrlik missed a golden opportunity to make it 7 after Ingoldsby chased down a puck while shorthanded and beat the goalie, passing to Frankie who fired high and wide over the gaping net. The Bees continued to take silly penalties and would have been made to pay against different opposition, however it was Bracknell who were dominant down 5 on 3. The Bees just didn't let the fire out of their zone and Thommo made it 7 on 53 minutes, giving him a well deserved hat-trick. Frankie had yet another chance to get his second of the night and tried his audacious between the legs move on Lawday, but the Fire goalie wasn't fooled and made the stop. The final word of the night came from Bendik who yet again, was given far too much time to settle the pass from Will Stead and shoot top shelf on Lawday giving the Bees a 8-1 victory.

With the shots on goal 70 - 20 in favour of the Bees, its a credit to the Fire goalie Lawday that it wasn't more. 

Match stats
Period scores: 4-0; 1-1; 3-0
Bees Scorers: Thompson 3+1; Barker & Bendik 1+1; Bakrlik, Osman & J.Ealey-Newman 1+0; Best 0+3; W.Stead, Martin & Ingoldsby 0+2; Foord & Tetlow 0+1
Fire scorers: Price 0+1; Christian 0+1
Bees PIMS: 34 (Galazzi 14; Hayes 12; Tetlow, H.Stead, Bakrlik & Martin 2)
Fire PIMS: 10 (Sheppard 4; Allner, Elias & Bench 2)
Shots on Bees (Milton): 20 (2, 10, 8)
Shots on Fire (Lawday): 70 (26, 20, 24)