News‎ > ‎

Match report: Invicta Dynamos 4 - 5 Bracknell Bees (After OT & Penalties)

posted 6 Nov 2017, 09:59 by john slater   [ updated 11 Nov 2017, 01:02 ]

Match report by Ashley Willitt

Sunday night and the Bees headed round the M25 into Kent to take on the ever improving Invicta Dynamos. After facing each other just two weeks ago at the Hive, the Bees were victorious following a 6-6 final score after regulation, was decided by an individual spot of brilliance by Frankie Bakrlik. The Bees were hoping for something a little more comfortable, however the 'Mos had other ideas.   Starting between the pipes for the home team was Damien King and for the Bees Alex Mettam.

The first period was relatively even but the Bees were slightly more the dominant team, yet while on a power-play the Bees were caught up ice and only had Josh Tetlow back to cover two Dynamos forwards. The speed of Callum Fowler was too much and he roofed his shot over Mettam to give the home team a 1-0 early lead. The Bees were clearly annoyed at letting a shorthanded goal in and it took less than 5 minutes for them to bring the game level through a small scramble around the net with Frankie Bakrlik getting the final touch, sneaking the puck under the pads of King. Once again Mettam was making decisions to come out to get loose pucks way ahead of him as his defence was playing a very high line. This time however he got there first after a pass to Bakrlik was cut out and came down the ice. In a return to Gillingham, Steve Osman was given a warm welcome by the home fans, but he almost made them regret it after tipping a Jan Bendik pass, but King was equal to it and gloved up high to deny him. The Bees shortly got their first lead of the night with a great move by Callum Best, dancing his way through at least three Invicta players before shooting high, making it 2-1. With just seconds left on the clock, a shot by Ondrej Zosiak was padded away by Mettam and straight into the path of Josh Condren who made no mistake in tapping it into the open net bringing the score level to 2-2.

The second period was just as open as the first with both teams battling hard but it was the Dynamos who had some of the better early chances. With the Bees unable to get out of their own zone Condren got flattened, but the plucky forward got up collected the loose puck and shot first time, top shelf on Mettam bringing the lead back to Invicta. Moments later some words were exchanged by several players and Mason Webster decided he wanted a piece of Josh Tetlow. The two dropped the gloves and threw bombs with Tetlow completely dominating the feisty Invicta forward, sending him crashing to his knees following a series of uppercuts. The 'Mos made it 4-2 through Fowler after he burst through the defence with great speed, beat Matt Foord and dangled around Mettam with a cool finish. Just minutes later the Bees brought the game back to within one after a big shot in from Bakrlik was saved by King, but the Invicta goalie couldn't handle it and it ended up being tapped in by Ingoldsby. The Bees thought they had tied the game just 2 minutes later but the goal was washed out immediately due to a man in the crease. 

In the third period the intensity was never likely to decrease and neither team disappointed. Josh Ealey-Newman coming close, tinging a wrist shot off the crossbar, Fowler for the Dynamos and Thompson and Ingoldsby for the Bees all bringing out huge saves against respective goal keepers. With just 2:23 left in the period and after a dominating final few minutes, the Bees tied the game. After going 4 on 4 due to penalties called on both teams, Josh Martin picked up the puck following a face off win in the offensive zone, found space and shot hard past King. With the clock running down the Bees were on the attack and Alex Barker squared to Thommo and just as he was about to pull the trigger the buzzer sounded.

Into overtime we went and it was not without incidents. The Dynamos would see themselves on a 4 on 3 for a large part of the period after a coming together off the puck between Bakrlik and Webster. With the Dynamos forward out cold on the ice for a number of minutes there was a lot of concern expressed from both sets of fans and players. Overtime is always an exciting affair and non more so with the talent of Shaun Thompson who, when through on goal was hooked back and a penalty shot awarded. With a chance to end it there and then he deked right and left but was unable to beat the pads of King. The Bees stood firm and survived to take the game to penalty shots.

Bendik and Fowler were the first two up and both had their efforts saved. Next up, Thommo, who scored as did Jackson for the'Mos. Alex Barker scored to give advantage to the Bees, but up stepped Adam Rehak who also netted his penalty. As has been seen once before by Bees fans, after the first three penalties each, the order is reversed and it was Invicta shooting first. Fowler took the next one and it was saved by Mettam so it was up to Shaun Thompson to try and win the game for the Bees. Under great pressure, the Bees forward shot the puck top right over King and sent the travelling support into rapturous applause!

Match stats
Period scores: 2-2; 2-1; 0-1; 0-0
Dynamos Scorers: Fowler 2+1; Condren 2+0; Downing 0+2;
Zosiak & Bailey 0+1
Bees scorers:
Bakrlik 1+2; Best 1+2; Ingoldsby & Martin 1+0; B.Ealey-Newman & Osman 0+1
Dynamos PIMS: M.Webster 8; Rehak & Hoang 2
Bees PIMS: Bakrlik 25; Tetlow 4; Foord, Best & Avery 2
Shots on Dynamos (King): 62 (14, 25, 21, 2)
Shots on Bees (Mettam):
28 (9, 10, 6, 3)