News‎ > ‎

Match report: Milton Keynes Thunder 2 - 3 Bracknell Bees

posted 25 Feb 2018, 07:05 by john slater

Match report by Yvonne Slater

The Bracknell Bees headed to Milton Keynes for their last regular season meeting with the MK Thunder. Netminders Tom Annetts and Danny Milton were selected to start the match.   Refereeing the game was Tim Pickett with Jason Earl and Nathan Carmichael manning the lines.

Within a few minutes of the first period starting MK fired in a shot on Danny Milton, but the puck flew just wide of the post. Bracknell collected the loose puck and skated into the MK zone with James Galazzi shooting the puck but Tom Annetts saves, from the face off Bracknell pass the puck round, but it ends up out of the MK zone and Ross Bowers collects the errant puck and has a one on one with Milton, who pokes the puck away off Bowers stick. Both teams play both ends of the ice with chances from both sides but both netminders clear the chances. The Bees applied pressure and kept the Thunder camped in their own zone, George Norcliffe with a shot just wide with Tom Avery firing the puck back into the zone and forcing a glove save from Annetts.   He immediately dropped the puck to his team mate who tries to clear the zone, with Josh Martin getting in the way he passes the puck back to Shaun Thompson who with a low shot finds the puck behind Annetts for the first goal with 9.03 gone in the period. MK try to find a way to get into the game and for a short period put shots in on Milton who turned away anything thrown his way. Bracknell found themselves piling the pressure on MK which resulted in a second goal with Carl Thompson passing to Callum Best who fires past Annetts with 16.48 on the clock. No further opportunities for both sides, until the Thunder are given a power play at 19.16 when Callum Best heads to the penalty box with a two minute high stick penalty. The period ends with both sides having a gathering in front of the Thunder bench and a few words are exchanged before the officials get both teams to leave the ice.

The second period got underway with the home side still on the power play, Bracknell soaked up the pressure and the penalty expired. Michael Stratford found himself with a one on one against Danny Milton but he cleared the puck away with ease. End to end play from both teams with no clear opportunities until Tom Carlon thought he was clear in on net until a whistle blows down the play and Carlon is deemed as offside, he exchanged a few words with the officials about the call but to no avail. From the resulting face off Jamie Line passes the puck to Tom Carlon who gets the Thunder on the score board with 27.13 on the clock. From the face off the Bees find themselves and a bit of a two and eight and can’t clear the zone and MK take advantage with shots flying in, and Danny Milton does well to clear the shots put upon him, Bracknell finally get to clear the zone with Carl Thompson passing to Callum Best and the puck goes just wide of the post from his shot. MK are then put on the power play when Frankie Bakrilik heads to the penalty box for a two minute hooking call at 34.08, Bracknell hold out and clear the penalty with no chances for MK, the second period ends more quietly than the first period.

The third period starts with the Bees in the MK zone, Frankie Bakrilik wheels round the back of the net and forces a blocker save from Annetts.   The puck deflected back into play and MK clear the zone. Bakrlik picked up the puck from the Bees blue line and skates in and fired a wrist shot past Annetts for the Bees third goal at 43.17. The Thunder still trying to keep in the game get their second goal with Jamie Line passing to Tom Carlon who fired in near post at 45.53.   Just under a minute later the Bees get a power play opportunity of their own when Rio Grinell-Parke takes a tripping penalty with 46.34 gone the in the game. MK do well to deal with the pressure from the Bees and mange to see off the man advantage. Further end to end play from both teams setup a tense finish with six minutes left on the clock.   The Thunder pushed forward seeking the equaliser and the Bees dug deep to keep them at bay it was a very offensive & defensive end to the game, with less than two minutes left MK had the possession in the Bees half of the ice when Tom Annetts tried to get the attention of the MK bench to come off (by banging his stick on the ice) and give the them an extra skater, but the bench either didn’t notice or ignored his pleas continuing to leave him in net.   Eventually with 15.3 seconds left the home side finally pulled Annetts and with a late time out taken by MK with 9.3 seconds to go nerves were jangling for both sides.  Thankfully the clock expired with the Bees taking the two points. Tom Carlon collected man of the match for the Thunder with Frankie Bakrilik collecting for the Bees.

Match stats
Period Scores: 0-2; 1-0; 1-1
Thunder scorers: Carlon 2+0; Line 0+2
Bees scorers: Best, S.Thompson & Bakrlik 1+0; C.Thompson, Barker & Martin 0+1
Thunder PIMS: 2 (Grinell-Parke 2)
Bees PIMS: 4 (Best & Bakrlik 2)
Shots on Thunder (Annetts): 37 (17, 7, 13)
Shots on Bees (Milton): 38 (9, 23, 6)