News‎ > ‎

Match Report: Streatham IHC 7 - 4 Bracknell Bees

posted 17 Dec 2017, 16:12 by john slater

Match report by Ashley Willitt

On a cold and wet Saturday evening, the Bees took a trip inside the M25 to take on Streatham. The last time the two sides met just 2 weeks previous, it was Streatham who took the spoils, winning 5-3. The Bees were looking to halt a skid of 8 losses in a row, but a mixture of missing players, a lack of fluidity to their play and some contentious officiating meant it wasn't an easy night for Bracknell.

Missing Shaun Thompson and Harvey Stead to injury, the Bees were also without Tom Avery, Carl Thompson and Danny Ingoldsby and with Josh Tetlow away with the GB under 20's. They added both Ealey-Newman brothers, Jack Hayes, Carl Graham and welcomed back Scott Spearing.  Officials were Richard Belfit with Charlie West and Christopher Edwards. In goal for the Bees was Alex Mettam and for Streatham Matt Colclough.

The game started tentatively for the Bees with Streatham looking far more comfortable both on and off the puck than the Bees. A cheap giveaway early on gave Canadian trained Andreas Siagris a chance, but he missed high and wide on Mettams goal. Just 5 minutes in and an already depleted bench lost Carl Graham to what was called a match penalty on a slash during a scuffle in the Bees goal mouth. A few minutes later, some slashes each by Josh Martin and Ryan Watt earned them 2 minutes each, with the latter drawing blood from Martin but with no extra penalty called. James Galazzi decided to take matters into his own hands and something of a fight took place between him and Watt. It was clear early on that the referee would have to have his wits about him to control this game.  Despite their frustration with the officiating, the Bees just weren't connecting, as many an errant pass went begging. With former MK lightning star Micheal Farn never seemingly leaving the ice it was almost inevitable that Streatham would get the first goal. Indeed, on the powerplay, it was Farn's slapshot/pass that found the stick of Ryan Webb, who deflected it passed the helpless Mettam. The Bees just didn't help themselves, and looked totally lost at times and after several poor line changes found themselves two goals down after 17 minutes through Adam Carr, assisted yet again by Farn.

The Bees were almost lucky to only be down by two following a 20 - 6 against shot count. Things did get worse for Bracknell as just four minutes into the second period, Siagris entered the Bees zone and danced his way past Frankie Bakrlik, shooting past Mettam to make it 3-0. Streathams fourth came just minutes later with nothing of any offence offered in return from the Bees, with Jacob Ranson getting the final touch. The Bees did manage to get one back following some determined work from Josh Ealey-Newman setting up Galazzi following a slick move between the two of them. This lifted the Bees heads, however their hope of a comeback were seemingly dashed with a 5th Streatham goal that got deflected on its way through a crowd and trickled through the 5-hole of Mettam. A powerplay lifeline was handed to Bracknell in the 37th minute as Jan Bendik scored a goal to give the vocal travelling support something to cheer for.

Heading into the 3rd and just 21 seconds in Streatham got their 6th of the night and one Mettam would like back, as a fairly innocuous shot found its way into the back of the net. However, only 30 seconds after the restart it was the Bees who got their third after a slapshot from Alex Barker was saved, only for Bakrlik to find the puck first on the rebound and poke it past Colclough. With Bracknell searching for more goals to get them back in the game, a wonderful team goal finished by Bakrlik but made by Ben Ealey-Newman gave the team hope and had it not been for an open goal miss on his back hand, Barker may have got the Bees back within one.  A rather bizarre call on Mettam for a penalty when he confronted the player who appeared to slash at his pads highlighted the lack of favourable calls the Bees were getting. A blatant missed interference, an earlier dubious charging penalty and some calls leaving fans and players alike unsure on what was going on or whether the officials knew what to call.  A 7th goal for the home team on 54 minutes that seemed to be deflected unfortunately in from a Bracknell stick summed up the night for the Bees and halted any thoughts of a late comeback. Despite being almost home and dry, Streatham player Ben Paynter resorted to a dirty cheap shot by jumping Bakrlik from behind following a clean hit on another player.

7-4 it ended and although Streatham were the better and more organised team on the night and probably deserved the win, it was tainted by some controversial decisions by Belfit that ruined the game and sent it down a path where players felt they had to take matters into their own hands.

Match stats
Period Scores: 2-0; 3-2; 2-2
Streatham scorers: Carr 2+0; Webb 1+1; Rose, Ranson, Watt & Siagris 1+0; Farn 0+4; Hayes 0+2; Paynter & Cooke 0+1
Bees scorers: Bakrlik 2+1; Galazzi & Bendik 1+0; B.Ealey-Newman 0+2; J.Ealey-Newman & Barker 0+1
Streatham PIMS: 41 (Paynter 25; Miles & Watt 6; Wood & Cooke 2)
Bees PIMS: 59 (Graham 25; Mettam 12; Galazzi & Martin 6; Best & Foord 4; Bench 2)
Shots on Streatham (Colclough): 28 (6, 7, 15)
Shots on Bees (Mettam): 43 (20, 13, 10)