News‎ > ‎

Match report: Telford Tigers 6 - 2 Bracknell Bees

posted 13 Jan 2018, 00:43 by john slater

Match report by Ashley Willitt

It was a trip up north for the Bracknell Bees on Thursday night as they took on the Telford Tigers in their re-arranged cup game. Due to the nature of the game - the Bees already eliminated from the cup and the late night, midweek face-off, the Bees took up a younger, less experienced squad. Missing from the Bees line-up was both Carl and Shaun Thompson, James Galazzi, Tom Avery, Luke Jackson and Callum Best. But added Ben Ealey-Newman, Jack Hayes, Zack Milton and Dan Fay.

The Tigers were missing the experience of Warren Tait and Jonathan Weaver but added several youngsters of their own to the line-up.   Refereeing was Roy Hamilton, assisted by Mathew Carrington and Alice Stanley. Starting in net for the Bees was Danny Milton and for the Tigers was Denis Bell

It was a fast start to the game and Bracknell were on the offensive from the off. Finding himself in space from a pass by Josh Martin, Danny Ingoldsby opened the scoring with a delightful move past the defender and a great finish past Bell. The Tigers picked up a couple of quick penalties giving Bracknell a 5 on 3 powerplay. This lasted all of 1 second as Josh Martin was given a penalty for a face-off violation and just as he was going into the box, something was clearly said on the Bees bench and a bench minor was assessed bringing the teams to 3 on 3! Just as Telford had gained the numerical advantage on the ice that they got the equaliser through Jason Silverthorn. Milton was having a strong night and kept the Tigers out, one particular save being outstanding as he flashed the glove denying Scott McKenzie. At the other end, Bell was not to be outdone, saving well against Alex Barker after a wonderful feed from George Norcliffe. Jan Bendik was keen to test the Telford goalie from long range and Bell gave up a juicy rebound from the pads, however he managed to get back into position to deny the onrushing Martin.

Into the second period and the Bees came out the stronger of the two sides. Just over a minute in and as the Bees were battling for the puck along the boards it was passed across ice to where Martin had come straight off the bench, he passed to Ingoldsby who once again beat Bell giving Bracknell the lead once more. The lead lasted around 5 minutes as, with the Tigers on a powerplay, Milton made a big save only to see the rebound come straight back to Rick Plant, who chipped it over the Bees goalie. The Bees just couldn't stay out of the box, with Hamliton calling several penalties against them due to retaliation, without penalising the initial infraction. However, while at even strength the Bees just couldn't clear their zone and Telford made them pay. Once again Milton making a huge save but was again unable to control the rebound and McKenzie tucked the puck away before the defence could get back to help. To cap off a terrible 3 minutes for the Bees, Telford score a further 2 goals through Silverthorn and Corey Goodison, effectively sealing the win for the Tigers.

With the score at 5-2, the third period saw a change of net minder for Telford with Jonah Armstrong coming on. Just seconds in and Telford had the puck in the back of the net but was washed out for accidental goalie interference. Almost immediately from the resulting face-off and after a fanned pass by Josh Tetlow was picked up by Jack Watkins, Telford got their 6th of the night and lead to a change in goalies for the Bees with Alex Mettam coming in to replace Milton. Bracknell had several chances to test the young Telford net minder, but he came up strong, especially against a couple of huge shots from Frankie Bakrlik. Mettam was made to keep the score down to and made several top saves against several Tigers players. Despite the Bees aggressive play being penalised the referee seemed to completely miss a boarding call against Dan fay, who was unceremoniously slammed face first into the boards. The end of the game got a little chippy with the Tigers face-caged players keen to dig at the Bees, knowing they wouldn't/couldn't challenge them.

The Tigers were good value for their win, but Bracknell were left thinking what could have been if the referee had been a little more even with the penalties. Another good showing by young Dan Fay, a great performance by Danny Ingoldsby and really good to see Alex Barker battling hard and looking close to the form that he enjoyed last season.

Match stats
Period Scores: 1-1; 4-1; 1-0
Tigers scorers: Silverthorn 2+0; McKenzie 1+3; Plant & Watkins 1+1; Goodison 1+0; Rose & White 0+1
Bees scorers: Ingoldsby 2+0; Martin 0+2
Tigers PIMS: 10 (Stokes, McKenzie, Taylor, Jesson & Mitchell 2)
Bees PIMS: 60 (Martin 40; Ingoldsby 12; Bendik 4; Bench 4)
Shots on Tigers (Bell & Armstrong): 24 (14, 10, 0) & 6 (0, 0, 6) 
Shots on Bees (Milton & Mettam): 30 (13, 15, 2) & 13 (0, 0, 13)